Friday, December 5, 2014

Untold Review: Kami

I live in Sorry-in-the-Vale
It is full of magic and Lynburns.

There is a war brewing.
I used to be able to help, to partake in it.
But what connected me to it was lost.

I will not be helpless.
I will not sit back and watch it all.

I will fight.
Even if I am not part of that world.
I'll just do it on my own terms.

Today, my name is Kami Glass.

Hi! Today, I happen to be the awesome reporter Kami Glass from Untold, by Sarah Rees Brennan!

Book: Untold
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Lynburn Legacy
Book Status: Second book
Setting: Sorry-in-the-Vale (town in England), present day
POV: told mostly by Kami, third person
Genre: YA paranormal

Reading: First time
Favorite line: "We often have special moments where I come into a room and he leaves."
Rating: 5 stars



Guys, if you haven't read the Lynburn Legacy series yet, do it now. Kami Glass is pure awesome. She's funny, smart, brave, everything. I mean, she says, "Huh. Guys, remember that game we played before, about who could be the fastest to call the police?" (that was in the prequel The Summer Before I met You, by the way). She's calm collected, and has a sense of humor to go with it. First book is Unspoken, so go read it!

Okay, onto my rant about her! Kami is one of those people who, if rendered helpless, will not sit by idling while the world continues to burn around her. Yes, she is just a normal girl facing off a swarm of people all armed with magic (again, I don't count that as a spoiler! It's in the book description!), but does that stop her? No. She's going to rally every resource she has to do her part in the battle.

In a way, Kami's probably someone I aspire to the most. She's just another girl, nothing particular special about her (not anymore). She has every reason to walk away from everything. But she doesn't. She risks her life over and over again for her town, for her friends, for her family. That's called loyalty.

Reading about Kami, I was suddenly thrown into a world of magic and courage to make a difference. And I think that's important, having courage. Having courage, and sticking right to it, all the way. Yes, there's a difference between bravery and stupidity, but let's be honest here: sticking to your guns, no matter how hopeless everything seems, all for the side of good is brave, not stupid

The takeaway message I get from here is that if you're going to make a difference, you got to go big. I don't mean big as in simply big actions; I mean you can't hesitate about anything, especially yourself. Things you wouldn't normally do, but things you know you can do, things you believe you can do. If you don't, either someone will get to it first, or it will be an opportunity lost (and in the case of Kami, every opportunity she goes for makes a huge difference).

Channel that inner belief. Channel that inner magic. Channel your inner Kami.

No comments:

Post a Comment